Friday, August 1, 2008

First Things First: An Introduction to This Blog

Hey!


Before I officially begin, I thought I'd start off with a proper introduction, one that would be able to give a worthy overview of the blog. After some false starts, I've decided to settle at sharing the reason for the title, A Real Life Experiment. So here it goes.

To put it shortly, A Real Life Experiment comes from the dominant feeling I seem to be experiencing at this particular point in my existence. I guess I can call it uncertainty. In fact, I know it to be uncertainty. I know because I know it comes from this transitional phase in my life, a necessary period of reorganization. I know it comes from the expectations hoping to be realized in my head. I know it comes from my frozen discontent, from the "strandedness" of my now. I know it comes from the all the questions swimming around in my mind, waiting to be answered. I know.

But for all I know of my present state, I can only admit to having the ability to guess the outcome or possibly, outcomes, in my future. Life, apparently, is not so simple that we can limit it to a few well-phrased equations, to a few good proverbs, to a few best-selling self-help books and then expect everything to turn out fine. I guess life is full of uncertainties. And I guess that for any farseeing, self-aware, purposeful human being, human life becomes a succession of, I daresay, close to nothing but good intentions and mistaken notions and reversals of fortunes.

Still, I argue that life is not at all random. We do have our precious, “probable certainties” (vs. an absolute certainty). These give us our starting framework for our realities. These give us at least something to work with—a basis for our foresight. So, though I can never be truly sure about life, I can at least be reasonably, faithfully confident about it. Sometimes, however, we are not even afforded that confidence. Ah...that's life.

So we say (following the unexpected serious tone this post assumed) that every scrutinized experience is a stab at getting a firmer grip on reality, every reflection an attempt at finding some certainty, at some truth. And so I say that with each fateful act of this seeking we gradually move towards a certain kind of certainty, one that is of course neither sure or absolute. Perhaps it is not even a certainty at all but an understanding, a deeper awareness of things, a realization.

All this apprehension and uncertainty notwithstanding, we are still stuck with this life. I suppose the only real choice we have is to keep on living, to submit ourselves to this real life experiment (there it is!). Neither sure or absolute, we can only hope that the truth we arrive at is as profound, as relevant, and as moving as our deepest thoughts. But more importantly we can also hope that for all our deep thoughts, we never forget to actually live. For that after all, is the whole point of the experiment.


Disclaimer:
Well...that was a bit too serious. I hope I haven't bored you. But let me assure you, I don't have the energy to do that every single post (or even regularly). Most of the posts will be a lot lighter than that and will likely concern more trivial matters—music, movies, sports, girls (I'm a guy), etc. Also, I don't write like this all the time. So don't be surprised if suddenly go colloquial on your ass. Stick around.




Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment: